help installing f16

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Sat Apr 21 19:02:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I downloaded the f16 install DVD (6.5 hours) and have been trying to
install it to an lvm partition that is part of a Xen box.  Two days
later I'm asking for help.

Hope this doesn't sound like a rant but I'm very frustrated.  This is a
description of what I've been going through with a request for help at
the very basic level of "Set Up your Drives".

I can't use livecd to install because that method won't install into a
virtual environment and shutting down every other vm just so I can boot
"bare metal" takes down my entire operation: no dns, no mail, no web, no
firewall, no databases.  Nulla.  Nada.  Squatalucci.  Out of business
while a livecd install takes place.  I'm not the only user here.  That
means I take down every other business, too.

Wow!  Talk about regression.  I feel like I'm in the way-back machine or
in need of invoking the "Help me, Mr. Wizard" invocation what with the
ansi language and keyboard selectors.  Haven't seen those in many, many
years, maybe a decade.  Then there is the disk setup.  Makes that good
old p.o.s. called disk-druid look useful.

Totally screwed up the disk.  Replaced a functional msdos partitioning
scheme with GUID partitioning that creates a header at the very end of
the disk which renders fdisk useless and requires kpartx or parted to be
used instead.

Problem is that kpartx is also a p.o.s. and parted is half brain dead.

e.g. parted requires start and end parameters for a partition but does
not provide any info about the disk's layout.  Had to use the now
deprecated fdisk to find that info.  Had to use dd to fill 10G with
dev/zero to destroy the GPT but the new disk manager still managed to
find a non-existent partition table which meant there was no free space
on the empty drive.

OK, finally made it to the disk setup where the 2 drives, 10g and 1g,
are detected and automatically placed into the right side box and the
arrows for moving them left are greyed out and unusable.  Fine.  10g is
the drive selected for the bootloader.  Press <Next>.

<this is where I'm asking for help>

Created 10g mount point / ext4 and 1g swap.  Press <Next>.
"Partitioning Errors.  You have not created a bootloader stage 1 target
device".  Just peachy.  What does it want?  Where is that done?  Tried
adding a /boot partition that will never be used but that, too, proved
pointless.

Has anybody succeeded in installing from "install media" as opposed to
"livecd media"?

Pointers?  Hand holding?  Advice?  etc.  (just don't rick roll me).

Thanks,
Mike Wright

p.s.  Brushing up on my cuneiform in anticipation of f22.  Practicing
starting fires by smashing rocks together in anticipation of f30.  LOL