f16, vncserver, screen geometry

Lets Go Canes letsgonhlcanes at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 17:30:36 UTC 2012

> I guess this is two questions in one.  1) Has the
> config file for vncserver moved or is f16's vncserver
> implementation broken?

It has moved and now has a different format.  Copy /lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service to /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@:1.service (change :1 to whatever vnc display number you want to use), and then edit it to have the correct username.  I use the following lines in mine:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/vncserver %i -geometry 1100x900
ExecStop=/usr/bin/vncserver -kill %i

where %i is the username defiend earlier in the file.

>  2) Is it possible to add a
> custom display size somewhere?  (looking to add
> 1670x1020).

add the geometry argument as above.

[I am thinking there may have been another step or two to add the customized file to systemctl, but it escapes me at the moment.]

Note that in my experience, vncserver does not start properly as part of system boot.  I have to login over ssh and issue the systemctl start command by-hand.  Another poster told me they had a similar problem, and use a cron job to make sure it is started.