Japanese keyboard: Fedora 15 KDE

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Apr 30 00:59:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:45:30 -0400,
jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote :

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:35:02 +0800,
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote :

> > Right Click on the icon and pick "Preferences".   Then go to the
> > "Input Method" Tab and select and Input Method and "Add" it to the
> > list of available input methods.
>
> OK, got it.  Japanese (kana) is chosen.  Keyboard is jp(kana).  But
> still, looks like and types like the same keyboard as usual.
>
> カテタチトスカンイシ

Hmmm...  Had to restart the machine ;-)  Good thing the login is still
done using the US keyboard.  I see that once ibus is used, then all
input methods have to be configured within ibus.  Unless the bus daemon
is not used.  Now I added English, so I can switch within ibus.

Is there any information on how to actually use Japanese input,
including descriptions of keyboard layouts ?  The keyboard I've chosen
seems to be limited to katakana (that is, when knowing what the layout
is).  Is there a hiragana keyboard ?  And is there also kanji selection
based on hiragana/romaji ?  Or based on pictogram sketches (perhaps
like IME on Windows) ?

Dooma arigato.