dynamic ip ok for NFS/LDAP servers? Network Gurus?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 3 10:50:33 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 30 November 2012, Jack Craig sent:
> Pls consider a configuration with a single host providing NFS4
> /home directories for other hosts in a 6 host cluster. Further,
> openldap is on the same host to provide for authentication
> on all 6.
>
> the architect says its ok to configure all hosts w/DHCP,
> but i see the ip changing every day or 2 (many reboots due setup).
>
> I am a huge fan of static ip for servers, but what do i know?! :(

You want servers to have the same IPs, always.  That can be done by
configuring the computers, individually.  For clients, it's usually not
too much of an issue whether their IP changes.  And it's usually easiest
to configure clients at the server.  That way, you only have to
configure things on one machine (everything controlled on your server).

For the clients, there are two alternatives to completely randomly
assigned dynamic addresses:  Tying them to the same IPs, always.  Or, it
may be good enough to simply make them far less likely to change IPs.
For cases where it's merely a question of convenience, and you don't
really need to fix them, just set your DHCP server so that default lease
times are long enough that a client will get the same IP as last time,
by default.

If you use Samba, particularly with some actual Windows client machines,
you may find it works more smoothly if the client machines always use
the same IPs.  SMB can be very slow at dealing with changes to addresses
of machines.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.7-4.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 20 19:40:01 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.