default sound device with kde phonon/gstreamer-backend

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:12:10 UTC 2012

On 10 December 2012 08:27, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 04:16 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
>>>>>

>>> I have 3 sound devices.  One is a USB headset while the others are....
>>>
>>> 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller  (HDMI)
>>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
>>>
>>> I use pulseaudio with no problems.....
>>>
>>> skype allows one to select which audio device to use for what.  So, for ringing I use the Intel device while or my "speakers" I use the USB headset.
>>>
>> Unfortunately Amarok for one (and most KDE apps it seems), does not
>> give this option, just sends you to Phonon setup.
>>
>>> Using pavucontrol I can "show applications" (while they are running) and the select which output device to use.
>>>
>> This is the only thing that's working and it's far from an ideal solution.
>

> I don't know why that would be the case.  Once I select the output for each application it sticks.  Meaning that once I run an application and select HDMI for use by it, the next time I run the application it will use HDMI.
>
> So, I have mplayer using HDMI to get to my TV and the application I use for music to go my Intel device.
>
> Yeah, it takes a bit of setting up.  But once you have it all configured the way you like it....it sticks.

The problem is that I'm trying to update some of the wiki advice on
using Pulse and Jack and that by the time you've mentioned three
different applications that someone has to enter configuration
information into I worry most of the audience has switched off.
(Assuming they even found their way there in the first place.) So I
could live with it (if I used KDE regularly), but find myself a bit
uncomfortable explaining to people why this should be difficult.

I was hoping there might be a trick I was missing, but looks like I'll
need to chase this down as an issue with Phonon. Thanks for the
suggestions.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk