Script Problem in Firefox

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 13 15:04:20 UTC 2012

The NY Times Home Page <www.nytimes.com> often scrolls so slowly as to
be almost unusable.  This appears to be related to messages like the
following, which appear repeatedly.  When I click on the "Stop Script"
box in the message performance improves slightly for a while, then
degrades and I see the box again.  This behavior appears only when the
Home Page is viewed in Firefox (17.0.1) running under Linux (Fedora 17)
and not when it is viewed in Windows XP (running in a Virtual Machine
under Linux), nor when the "Todays Paper"
<http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html> is viewed under
Linux.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Any ideas on how to fix?

Here is the message:

        A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped
        responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to
        see if the script will complete.

        Script: http://c.betrad.com/geo/ba.js?r756:58

        O Don't ask me again                            |Stop Script|
        |Continue|

Thanks for your help - jon