automatic helpers which really suck!

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 09:22:47 UTC 2012

On 12/14/2012 01:27 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 12/14/2012 03:35 PM, François Patte wrote:

>>> As soon as it starts grinding looking for the automated setup, click
>>> "Manual Config". it will give up on looking for an autodiscover record
>>> and let you enter the servers, etc. manually. No big deal.
>>
>> Very difficult! I could see once something like this: phenomenon lasted
>> for 1/10 of second and disappeared.... Most of the time, I cannot even
>> see the button you're talking about!
>>
>> As for any menu to click (suggested by other mails) it does not exist!
>> The only thing I can do is to ask for a new email address from gandi.net
>> or Hover.com Which I don't want!
>>
>> This happens on fedora 17 xfce....
>
> I have tested on a F17 VM running xfce and a fresh install of TBird....
>
> No problem to add an existing email....
>
> Have a look at these....
>
> http://tinyurl.com/d3ej8x4

One issue is when you use IMAP over SSL to communicate with an internal
mail server, which uses its own Certificate Authority. It is expected
that Thunderbird would throw up an error/warning on unable to verify
certificate provided by the mail server. Instead it gets stuck in the
verifying mail server step for a very long time, and just fails with the
generic message. The same mail server will pass verification once you
install the CA Certificate for the internal CA. This is not helpful at all.

--
Rejy M Cyriac (rmc)