building ppp from src rpm failed in f17

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 16 19:28:35 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 09:24:21PM +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Last one, really:
> suppose I want to build a source rpm. I do not
> want to run make install as I do want to keep my orig binaries.
> So what should I do ?
> this is in fact the reason that I tried
> rpmbuild -bp specFile
> and the moving to BUILD/ppp-2.4.5 and ./configure && make from there.
> But with ppp it failed.
> Is there a flag which tells rpbuild not to build but not to run make install ?

It's important to note that while building an RPM _can_ mess up your
installed system if the spec file is bad, it _shouldn't_. The RPM build
process will run "make install" with a special temporary build directory as
the target, and it won't overwrite your actual current binaries until you
actually install the RPM.