Partitioning between SDD and HDD

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Dec 19 19:24:25 UTC 2012

On 12/19/2012 08:58 AM, Javier Perez issued this missive:
> Hi
> I am looking forward to rebuild my system.
> I want to buy a SSD to place all fixed, operating system files in there
> and use the HDD for my Data and variable operating system files.
>
> looks like /home and /var should go on the HDD.

SSDs are nice but when they fail, they fail in a great, big hurry and
usually quite completely. You may not get any warning via smartdisk or
anything and when an SSD poops out, it generally is catastrophic and
unrecoverable. Make sure you back it up often.

I speak from experience here--we've had several (10) Macs go kerblooey
because of catastrophic SSD failures. We've used SSDs as the data
volumes in databases only to have them corrupt the databases when
they've died. I'd not bet the farm on them as yet. We will only use
them in some form of redundant RAID (RAID 1, 5 or 6...something that
can survive a disk failure).

This issue may never bite you, but..........

-  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a   -
-                            big enough rock.                        -