Can anyone recommend a good video editing tool?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 10:45:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it>wrote:

> Ok, so you convert to intermediate MPEG2 to avoid issues with keyframes
> and cutting
> which are specific to the formats involved.
> Then you decide to routinely use MPEG2 for this.
> And you use high quality settings to minimize unavoidable re-encoding
> artifacts.

Yes.

> What I was objecting is "I go intermediate to avoid artifacts", which
> can't be true and
> it looked like you were saying that, originally.

Of course, if you have ALL your videos in the same codec, fps rate,
resolution, etc, then there is no problem using whatever video editor you
choose, to cut and concatenate vids at will. The problem arises when you
have different videos, from different sources using different codecs and
framerates, and want to created a single remixed video out of ´em.

That´s when, in my experience, it works best to convert all source material
to very high quality MPEG2 (in my case, and for my needs, if it´s not HD
material, DVD-quality framerate MPEG2 works best- I use the ´DVD´ presets
for FFMPEG that come with WinFF), do the editing, and get the final result
in MPEG2.

Then, as needed, one can re-encode from that final video into lower-size
files, with more efficient formats and bitrates according to the target
destination (e-mail attachment, web site embedding, etc).

Of course, raw uncompressed video works best, but I usually don´t have the
HD space on my Atom netbook to justify that.

I use the above approach when remixing vids from Youtube, and other web
sources which often come in mp4, flv or avi. I got sick of different video
editors chocking on input vids codecs or whatever, or producing
unpredictable results. It seems to me that the MPEG2 codec is simple and
understood enough as to not cause any problems with even the oldest of
video editors.

Editing flv, avi (xvid/divx), and h.264, is more troublesome.

Just my $0.02
FC