Can anyone recommend a good video editing tool?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Dec 26 22:17:51 UTC 2012

Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it
> <mailto:mail at robertoragusa.it>> wrote:
>
>     Hmmmm? Having an additional intermediate encoding to avoid re-encoding
>     artifacts???
>

> By converting to very high quality MPEG2 you avoid issues with AVI, XVID, H.264
> encoding and decoding which a lot of programs handle differently (you can get
> different results just by using different builds of FFMPEG).

I found that the hard way.

> For instance, it´s impossible to do frame-accurate cutting with a lot of AVI
> cutters, whereas on MPEG2 cuts are frame-perfect. Don´t ask me why, I´m not a
> codecs writer just an end user of many video cutting tools. And this is based on
> my personal experience.

I have found that writing from avidemux gives many warnings about just this, if
you don't reencode it sometimes crashes.

> MPEG2 is the codec used on broadcast HDTV, and while it´s much less efficient
> than H.264, it´s less CPU intensive for applications to work with.

I would like to save it in a format which didn't get reencoded for use on a DVD
if I have to distribute the video (lots of meetings and such). Most of the
mastering tools I have tried are no happy to just use what they find. But at
least I have a tool chain which gets my job done, so I am not complaining.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>