Can anyone recommend a good video editing tool?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Dec 26 22:22:40 UTC 2012

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:15:12 +1030
> Tim wrote:
>
>> Convert to an uncompressed format, edit that, then encode the
>> output using the compression scheme that you want.
>
> Yea, I almost always convert anything I want to edit to
> something like huffyuv, making sure I have a giant amount
> of free space available, then I can use avidemux on it.
> Something like this usually works for the video bits:
>
> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts format=422p:vcodec=huffyuv \
>           -o <outfile>.avi <infile>.avi
>
> Audio though is always screwed up. Heck, most audio
> seems to be already screwed up in the source material,
> and it always gets worse during editing.

I have noticed that I get a lot of .TS files with seemingly unsynced audio.
However, if I encode them reading with "-async 200" on the input, by magic the
audio is synced again, or at least in most cases. It really has allowed me to
catch a lot of things and fix them after the fact, for which I am grateful.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>