Swapping HDD....

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Thu Dec 27 06:12:25 UTC 2012

On 27.12.2012, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

> I want to swap it out to a 750GB SATA HDD. How can I do this
> when I don't have another laptop with the same exact specs as the Gateway?

- Connect your new HDD to your laptop (e.g. as an external drive).
- Get the new HDD partitioned and formatted
- "rsync -avxHSAX /old/partition/ /new/partition" will do a proper copy
  of your existing data
- Look into /etc/fstab and change the new partitions UUIDs to the same
  (old) UUIDs used in fstab ("man tune2fs")
- Change the HDDs
- Install GRUB ("man grub-install")

I have done this quite often, it works.