reducing PDF file size in Fedora

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Dec 27 18:26:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 16:10:22 +0100,
   Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>Am 27.12.2012 16:05, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
>> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 08:17:56 -0600,
>>   Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need to reduce the file size of my PDF in Fedora. Apparently, I may
>>> be able to use Adobe Acrobat Professsional to do this:
>>>
>>> http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/acrobat/articles/acr7optimize/acr7optimize.pdf
>>>
>>> But I was wondering if there is an open source way to achieve the same
>>> result in Fedora?
>>
>> Why not compress it with a compression tool such as xz?
>
>because this is not a solution for the question
>
>how do you imagine to open such files on different OS?
>as example on windows even winrar can not unpack tar.xz
>PDF is for exchange documents

He didn't provide any other requirements than that he needed the file to
be smaller. He may or may not need to be able to open the file on Windows.
Maybe he just needs it to fit on a USB drive he has. Without more information
using a compression program seems like an easy possible solution. And even
on windows 7z can be used to uncompress files compressed with xz.