blacklisting domains for yum?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 12:08:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Mika Suomalainen <mkaysi at outlook.com> wrote:

> On 29.12.2012 01:07, Joel Rees wrote:
>> So I want to block yum from going to any domain in .cn .
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do it, either in yum.conf or in
>> yum.repos.d/* , short of disabling the metalinks and grabbing the
>> list of mirrors from the mirrors page and deleting the Chinese
>> servers?
>
> I think that yum-plugin-fastestmirror can do this.
> /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf has commented line 11 which
> says "#exclude=.gov, facebook" and I believe that it means that it
> will not use mirrors that end with .gov or facebook.

Apparently that's ends in .gov or includes facebook.

> yum install yum-plugin-fastestmirror

But now I have it installed, yum is still dragging through a sandpit.
Speeds in the range of 1 kb/s I'm beginning to think the ISP has
throttled me for yum.

yum was slow like this late last night and almost normal speed during
the day today. Kind of like the servers are getting hit, but the
servers seem okay via direct http or ftp.

--
Joel Rees