Cannot boot up after kernel upgrade

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 05:20:23 UTC 2012

On Sunday 05 February 2012 21:59:57 T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Jean Jacques <chaoyzj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nvidia and installed it by run NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run file which
> > is downloaded from Nvidia website.
>
> Unfortunately, installing the download directly from Nvidia tends to
> cause problems on kernel upgrades.  I strongly suggest you uninstall
> that version and use the version from RPMFusion [1] instead.  It's
> designed to work with Fedora and handle kernel updates appropriately.
>
> Otherwise, you may need to reinstall the version you installed to get
> it to work properly.

In addition to what T.C said, note that uninstalling the nVidia's .run
installation is a nontrivial task (at least it was last time I did it, maybe
things are better these days). There are several system libraries that the
.run installation overwrites with nVidia versions, and the uninstall process
doesn't (or didn't use to) replace those back. Unless you do this manually,
after uninstallation you might still be left with a broken system. In any case
you should manually check if the uninstall process did replace everything to
its original state.

I don't remember the details anymore, though. There are various instructions
on the web and in this list's archives about the filenames etc. Google is your
friend.

As a point for the future --- when you are faced with the need to install
various 3rd party stuff like binary drivers for this or that, it is always a
good idea to first get informed what is the Right Way (tm) to do it in Fedora.
That will help you avoid situations like painting yourself into a corner and
similar. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko