Yum and Fedora 16

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Feb 8 22:00:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:51:08 -0800
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 02/08/2012 10:57 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >   i know that the release quality get more and more worse and hope
> > the people resposible for that will relize this as soon as possible
> > but it doe snot help screaming and running away because changes in
> > fedora will hit most distributons sooner or later and mostly
> > SUCH sort of troubles can be isolated easily
>
> Fedora 15 and 16 seem to be glaring exceptions to Fedora's usual QA,
> partially because of the people who (like me) skipped 15 and went
> right from 14 to 16.
>
> I've been giving the situation some thought, and I think that the
> main cause for all of the trouble is that Fedora made major changes
> to three different systems at the same time: going from Legacy grub
> to grub2, going from init to systemd and, for most people, going from
> Gnome2 to Gnome3.  Each of those changes has its own problems and
> pitfalls, and putting all three of them into the same Fedora version
> was probably a Bad Idea.

Just a correction here:

systemd and gnome3 were fedora 15 features.
grub2 was fedora 16.

systemd was planned for f14, but was pushed back as not ready.
If it had not been, these three things would have all been in different
releases. ;)

> The change in grub was probably the most transparent for most of us
> because if we upgraded, the new grub software was installed, but not
> actually put into use; AIUI, if you use the preupgrade route, you
> still need to run grub2-install yourself or you're still using legacy
> grub. Even so, there are bound to be occasional teething troubles, no
> matter how careful the QA is.  In this case, I'm getting the
> impression that there either wasn't enough testing on older hardware
> or the issues found by such testing weren't considered worth
> correcting.

If you upgrade with anything except yum, you will get grub2.
(With one exception... if you use efi, you get grub1-efi).
...snipp...

> I'm hoping that by the time Fedora 17 is ready, most, if not all of
> these issues will be corrected and that things will be back to
> normal. In closing, I'd just like to point out that there are very
> few threads about installation problems with F16 on the fedoraforums,
> especially when you compare it to the constant cries for help F15
> generated.

Yeah, I'd urge folks to download and try out alphas and betas of 17 and
report any bugs they find.

kevin