F15 update: no more nvidia

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:28:14 UTC 2012

On 13 February 2012 02:58, Bruce Korb <bkorb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On 02/12/12 15:28, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Go to the nvidia driver download page:  http://bit.ly/AbjlHC
>>> You'll have to have the linux source RPM installed and rebuild it.
>>> The "open source" driver has now progressed to where it almost
>>> works, but I don't find "almost" to be good enough for prime time.
>>

>> why recommending the BLOB from nvidia-homepage WITHOUT BIG WARNING
>> that EVERYTIME after kernel-updates GUI will be broken?
>

> Because, more-or-less, my GUI gets broken everytime the kernel
> gets updated anyway.  I think if you have one monitor and an older
> nVidia card, you may be okay with that nouveau horse dung.
> Otherwise, you've got nothing but problems.  Frankly, it is easier
> to go through a longer sequence of well-trodden paths than it is
> to diagnose the situation when nouveau decides to give you
> reduced resolution on only one monitor.  That's why.

You're confused. The nvidia akmod from rpmfusion will rebuild the
kernel module for the nvidia proprietary driver when the kernel
updates. It is not nouveau. What it does do is ensure the files on
your system are managed by the package manager and you get updates to
the kernel and the driver without manual intervention (and things are
less likely to break randomly due to incompatibilities). As Kevin
Martin points out it doesn't work with debug kernels, but nothing's
perfect.

--
imalone