sound

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 12:06:39 UTC 2012

Patrick Dupre <patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> aplay -lv
>
> aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...
>
> This is bizarre, to tell the true, this card had been recognized last
> week, and I tried to test it. I did not get it working, by
> disconnecting the cable, do you think that I may have kill it?

I test the card with a knoppic distribution and it works fine:
To my knowledge, it a AMD SB600 chipset and the audio is:
5.1 CH HD Audio (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)

but aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...

Probably the driver is mising in the kernel
and I need to add the module?

> There are probably some tests that I can run.

Alsa is low level; it is assigned devices by the kernel which scans to
determine hardware.  If the kernel doesn't find the device, it is
unlikely any other test will.

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |  Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |  Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |  email: patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk