fuzzed desktop in F16

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 17 00:00:08 UTC 2012

On 02/16/2012 03:44 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:18 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2012 7:52 AM, "Greg Woods" <woods at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>> I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode
>> in
>>> GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and
>>> pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a
>> suspend
>>> or hibernate.
>> Per item 3, try creating a new user to test.
> As I mentioned in the original post, I did that. The new user does not
> have the issue.
>
>> I have a feeling this is a suspend issue, albeit a strange one I may
>> not be competent with.  What video hardware and driver is in use on
>> this box?
> It is using the nvidia blob. I suppose I could try it with nouveau to
> see if it still occurs, but at some point I will need VDPAU on this box
> which means I will have to get the nvidia blob to work (assuming that
> proves to be where the problem lies). But if it's the driver, why does
> it work for a new user?
>
> Does anyone know which dot directory(s) I would need to clear out in
> order to start Gnome3 with a clean slate?
>

>> BTW, you might enjoy extensions.gnome.org
> So far I have only installed the gnome-shell-extensions* RPMs, all of
> which came from fedora or fedora-updates repo.
>
> --Greg

I don't think it's a Gnome issue per se.  I saw this occasionally under LXDE and still today under XFCE.   I primarily see it in
Thunderbird and Firefox (typically in the Tab headings) and it normally clears when I click on the tab.  Perhaps what I'm seeing is
something peculiar to some extension I have in Thunderbird and/or Firefox.  I don't know for sure.  It's never bothered me enough to
try to determine what is happening since it clears when I "refresh" the tab.

Kevin