OpenSSH ECDSA support

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:42:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I've tried to search bugzilla and forums for information on ECDSA support
>> in the Fedora provided OpenSSH packages, but didn't find anything conclusive.
>>
>> What is the status?
>
> Elliptic curve cryptography support has been excluded from Fedora [1],
> presumably due to patent concerns [2].
>
> -T.C.
>
> [1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=openssl.git;a=blob;f=hobble-openssl;h=291d8a35f7cebdaf8d131f036b6dfa60fd3e543b;hb=HEAD
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_patents

I can't find the link but remember that there was talk about about reversing
that decision after some investigation was finished.

If Fedora doesn't plan to ship it with ECDSA enabled, what's the purpose
of the Fedora ECC/TLS Test Server found here: https://ecc.fedora.redhat.com/