F16 USB pass-through to VirtualBox

Dave Close dave at compata.com
Thu Feb 23 04:17:25 UTC 2012

Richard Shaw wrote:

>One thing you didn't mention is if you right clicked on the USB icon
>in the bottom right of the virtual guest window. USB devices don't
>automatically get mapped to the guest unless you set it that way in
>the virtual guest settings. If everything is setup correctly, when you
>right click on the USB icon you should see your device in the list and
>be able to select it.

Thank you !!! That does make the flash disk visible to the guest.

I had not tried that. Recall I'm usually running the guest headless so
I don't even see that menu. When I started in non-headless mode, it
works. But, while this shows that the pass-through can work, it doesn't
really solve my problem.

There doesn't appear to be any checkbox in the VBox settings to make
this automatic. And running headless, I won't normally be able to do
it. There must be some command I can run in the guest to accomplish the
same thing as the USB device menu. Perhaps I can put that command in
the guest's rc.local.
--
         Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA       +1 714 434 7359
       dave at compata.com              dhclose at alumni.caltech.edu
       "Political campaigns are the graveyard of real ideas and
       the birthplace of empty promises." -- Teresa Heinz Kerry