F17, power switch offers no choices??

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Jul 1 02:24:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 06:43:30PM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 17:57 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > I haven't used Fedora on my netbook since F14, I used Centos 6 in that
> > interim.
> >
> > however, both centos 6 and fedora (back when I used it) allowd one to
> > press the netbook's power switch, while logged in, and got a dialog
> > offering choices like shutdown, log off, standby, hibernate.
> >
> > how, on F17 though, it just does a shutdown, depending on which
> > desktop/session I'm in. (in gnome it seems to just go to standby mode,
> > while in lxde or xfce (or MATE, which I've installed) it just shuts down.
> >
> > I assume this is an artifact of systemd, but have no clue how to hack
> > it to make it once again offer the choices.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Fred
> > --
> Why does it have to be the power switch. Why is the menu with the
> appropriate choices avoidable to you (under name menu in Gnome for
> example) sufficient.?

well, 2 or 3 reasons:
--it's easier to press the power button than to find the right
  menu item (in Gnome 3.x)
--the menu whereof you speak includes suspend and log out, but not
  hibernate, restart or shut down. I can't find a simple "shutdown"
  item on any of the menus, at least on my system.... am I overlooking
  something?
--it's just a reduction in functionality, so I wonder how one would
  restore said functionality.

Fred