k3b and create image

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 03:49:43 UTC 2012

On 06/30/2012 05:12 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 06/30/2012 06:08 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 06/30/2012 03:58 PM, Andy Blanchard wrote:
>>> On 30 June 2012 22:49, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      I used k3b to copy the image of an audio cd.
>>>      It produced files like
>>>      Track01.wav
>>>      Track16.wav
>>>

>>> These are the audio tracks in .WAV format, which any media player
>>> should be able to play.  Alternatively you could transcode them into
>>> FLAC (lossless compression), OGG format (lossy compression), or some
>>> other format to save some disk space.
>>>
>>>      and it also produced a file simply with the title of the audio cd,
>>>      and without extensions and it is 803066400 bytes large.
>>>      Running
>>>      $ file 'Into The Unknown'
>>>      Into The Unknown: data
>>>
>>>      The file is quite larger than the 704MB max (with overburn)
>>>      that a CD can hold. This file is 100MB larger than that.
>>>

>>> Larger than a data CD, not than an audio CD.  Audio CDs are stored in
>>> sectors of 2,352 bytes, where as data CDs put 2,048 bytes plus some
>>> checksum data into the same sector space.  K3B has generated a raw
>>> dump of the CD including the checksum data, rather than stripping it out.
>>>
>>>      So, how can I use this file? I was hoping it would be in
>>>      a format that could be used by any of the plethora of
>>>      media players in linux.
>>>      mplayer failed to open it.
>>>

>>> I'd say your best path would be to delete it, and then transcode the
>>> .WAV files into your audio format of choice.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andy
>>>
>>> /The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe/
>>>

>> Thanx Andy.
>> I do know what wav files are.
>> I was hoping to delete them and use just the one
>> file which krb says is the image. I was under the
>> impression it would produce a .img file. But I was
>> disappointed. Apparently becase an audio CD is
>> made of multiple tracks, once cannot create a .img
>> or a .iso of it.
>>

> Try this dd if=/dev/sr0 of=cdimage.iso

Well, as I already explained, an audio cd is made
of multiple tracks (not sure if that means multiple
sessions). You cannot dd it that way. To wit:
$ dd if=/dev/sr0 of=sr0.dd
dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.00558614 s, 0.0 kB/s

Compare that with the fedora 17 DVD:
$ dd if=/dev/sr0 of=sr0.dd bs=2k count=10
10+0 records in
10+0 records out
20480 bytes (20 kB) copied, 3.55596 s, 5.8 kB/s