Gnome-rdp (re-post)

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sun Jul 1 21:43:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 22:56 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/01/2012 09:58 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>
> Look forward to hearing how your test without the VPN work out....

OK - I was able to test inside the building today. Using my Linux (F17)
laptop, and getting a DHCP assigned IP address. Ping works to all hosts
normally, and I am also able to resolve all DNS host names as expected.

RDP sessions still fail however. They either connect and hang after a
few seconds, or they simply don't connect at all. It's exactly the same
symptoms as when connected via the VPN. Clearly, there's some sort of
issue with both gnome-rdp and Reminna.

> OK....  When you say the ping works from the Linux system you are using the IP
> address, right?  I say that since you say the "hostnames are not resolved".   Are you
> expecting the hostnames to be resolved via DNS?  Are they actually registered in the
> DNS...or only in the hosts file?
>
> I ask this since applications will normally resolve hostnames based on the
> configuration in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  But, the DNS tools like dig and nslookup ignore
> nsswitch.conf and go directly to DNS.
>
> My nsswitch.conf contains....
>
> hosts:      files dns
>
> and my /etc/hosts file has a line
>
> 192.168.0.18   nickel nickel.greshko.com
>
> But nickel is not in the DNS.....

So, in this case, my nsswitch.conf has files, dns as its entry (which is
the default).

We're not using local host files for name resolution. Too much work when
you have a valid DNS server already handling that for you. I generally
only modify /etc/hosts as a last resort.

So I think there actually are probably two issues here - one with
Network Manager / vpnc, and the other with RDP sessions in general.
Again, my Windows clients - both physical systems and VMs - are working
just fine from both inside the building and via the VPN. It's
specifically Network Manager and gnome-rdp / Reminna that are having
issues.

Hope that helps a little more!

Chris

--