And don't let the door hit you on the way out

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 01:05:39 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 07:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I've been using Red Hat and then Fedora for a long time.  The only
> reason I've stuck with Fedora this long is that I am very grateful to
> Red Hat for its contribution to the community.
>
> HOWEVER.  As time has passed, Fedora has become increasingly
> demanding, idiosyncratic, and user-hostile.  I can't keep up with the
> tick-tock any more, and I'm tired of playing where's waldo so as to
> figure out how to do the most obvious things, like how to bring up a
> terminal or how to change the power settings with the latest release
> of FC-infinity.
>
> The precipitating event is actually caused by Windows, which will not
> accommodate all 24Gb of RAM I have on one machine without my paying
> blackmail (which I would have to pay over and over again), and Fedora
> doesn't even aim at being a replacement for Windows.
>
> Perhaps I will become just as dissatisified with Ubuntu as I have been
> with everything else, but maybe I'll die or become senile first.  My
> impression of system professionals has not changed since I first
> started using computers, which was long before anything resembling x86
> was even a gleam in anyone's eye.  All I can say is I hope y'all are
> having fun, because your endless flights of fancy are nothing but a
> pain for ordinary users.  My dream is a bare-metal hypervisor that
> actually works, so that I can actually switch between one
> idiosyncratic system and another with the blink of an eye.
>
> Fedora will stay on some machines for a while, but I think I can see
> the last station on the line.  I wish I could say it's been fun.
>
> Robert Myers.

How about something way more stable, like CentOS or Scientific Linux.
Both are based on RHEL which is the beneficiary of all the testing that
goes on here in Fedora.  You do realize that Fedora is the test
environment for RHEL no?  If you don't want to be a tester than use and
enterprise level OS.

--
     _
    °v°