And don't let the door hit you on the way out

David dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 01:25:33 UTC 2012

On 7/3/2012 9:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us
> <mailto:joe at zeff.us>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/03/2012 04:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
>
>         Fedora
>         doesn't even aim at being a replacement for Windows.
>

>     And why should it?  That would be setting the bar far, far too low.
>

> You can say whatever snarky things you want to about Windows (and no one
> enjoys trashing Microsoft and its straight out of a Pixar movie
> management more than I do), BUT
>
> Flash actually works for Windows, and I need Flash (I know...pathetic,
> isn't it?) AND
> Vmware Player for Windows, unlike Red Hat's various experiments with
> virtualization, actually works in a way I can use.
>
> A Windows box with a huge memory space and whatever mixture of XP,
> Fedora, CentOS, and Ubuntu (not to mention Cygwin) seemed finally Good
> Enough.
>
> It is, apparently, not to be.
>
> One possible approach to the shifting sands of the GUI is to stop using
> it.  Unfortunately reading through the crabbed and unreliable prose of
> man pages is something I now do only in desperation.  What's the
> difference between a lower case r and an upper case R?  You have to be
> socially-maladjusted to think that such a thing should occupy an
> important place in your life...but it does, because I use grep and
> regular expressions.  That's changed of course, but then I have to
> remember that it has changed, and I am getting old.
>
> Maybe I'll be sufficiently frustrated with Ubuntu that something else
> will happen in the end, but, right now, it's looking like Windows for
> the laptop and anything but Fedora for everything else.
>
> Robert Myers.

Robert. A suggestion? Unless you really, really want to get into a flame
war and a pi$$ing contest here I would suggest that you just do what you
have to do and not reply to this thread. You will, probably, feel
better. That's up to you of course. Those us that don't give a da*m will
feel better. And those that will carry this thread on and on for days
and days can do a self-gratifying circle jerk.

Have a great day.

--

  David