After sleep, telnet on local host fails

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jul 4 01:58:55 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 06:25 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan issued this missive::
> After waking my system up from sleep mode, telnet on the local host
> doesn't work for a minute or two.  Here's a typical attempt, which was
> run about a minute after waking the system up:
> 	$ telnet localhost 25
> 	Trying ::1...
> 	telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
> 	Trying 127.0.0.1...
> 	telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> After a minute or two sendmail works fine.  This is no biggie, the only
> bad consequence is that fetchmail won't fetch anything for a minute or
> two; but it would be nice to know what's going on.

Since this is after waking up from sleep mode, the odds are that the
network manager stuff is still starting up...especially if this is a
wireless connection.

NetworkManager generally closes the firewall down, brings the network
up (and if it's a wireless, that includes authenticating, et al) and
then starts the firewall. While the firewall is set to not accept
connections, trying even localhost won't work.
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -