And don't let the door hit you on the way out

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Wed Jul 4 04:34:41 UTC 2012

On 04/07/12 11:07, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> Linux purists answer that "that's not the way we do things in Linux"
> and that "users should learn their new OS rather than try to copy the
> way Windows does things". I think that is wrong and is precisely one
> of the reasons of desktop linux minuscule market share.

I think that has virtually nothing to do with it. It goes way beyond
Linux not being a carbon copy of Windows. After-all, I wonder what the
market share of ReactOS is? The minuscule Linux desktop market is
because it's not the default operating system on virtually every
"desktop" computer shipped. In the IT world, being the default is a
powerful position and technical merit is surprisingly low down the list.
Companies spend millions of dollars having their product there by
default, right under the user's nose because they know that many users
won't go looking if they have something right in front of them that is
good enough. This market is backed by a massive number of OEMs which
reinforce that market and the psyche around that. This just doesn't
exist for the Linux market and trying to change that is like stopping a
speeding freight train with your hands.

--
Ian Chapman.