No grub2 menu display; can't boot F17

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 4 14:08:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 17:20 -0400, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> I've filed the text below as
>   Bug 837430 - No grub2 menu; can't boot new F17 installation
>
> But since the grub2 developers are probably overwhelmed at this point,
> and since folks on this list are usually very helpful, I'll post it
> here too.  If anyone has seen this problem, or even better, has a
> solution, I'd like to know.
>

> *****************
> There are so many major faults with grub2 it's hard to see where to
> begin.  The most egregious are these:
>
> 1 - Instead of presenting a menu, my 64 bit machine displays an error
> message box "Input not supported" which steps diagonally up the screen.
> After about 30 sec the machine boots into some randomly chosen kernel.
>
> 2 - Most of the menuitems in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg are constructed
> incorrectly; only a few of them can possibly start a properly functioning
> system.
>
> Taken together, it is nearly impossible to boot a new Fedora 17
> system.  Item 1 means there's no way to choose among the various
> kernels and item 2 means the chance of hitting a working menuitem is
> slim to none.

I have always been confused that some people like the OP have these
problems while I am running F17 64 bit and do not have these problems. I
have a grub2 menu list which allows me to choose a kernel to boot.

What have I done differently then the OP. One thing is I installed F17
using a LiveUSB rather than the DVD.
A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows. -- O'Henry
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net