Pulseaudio strikes again!

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Wed Jul 4 19:29:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:53:15AM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 30 June 2012 08:41, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> > On 06/30/2012 03:53 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> >
> >> I thought it solved the problem of multiple applications play some
> >> sound simultaneously on the same device? It's not as rare as you might
> >> think; a voip call while you are listening to music for example.
> >
> > That was already solved by alsa dmix.
> >

> For certain values of 'solved'.

I've discovered a solution.  It is now necessary to remove two
packages:

    alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
    alsa-plugins-maemo

With both packages removed, both root and I (and presumeably all
users) can generate sounds, including a login tune generated in rc.local.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us