sda2 is corrupted

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Thu Jul 5 18:13:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 13:47 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 01:23 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> > On 05.07.2012 19:15, Jim wrote:
> >> Fedora 17
> >>
> >> the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
> >> and it won't let me change the label back to /home
> >>
> >> I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck.
> >>
> >> There are some important data files  I must save off of sda2
> >>

> > 1. What is the type of that file system?
> ext4
> > 2. Can you paste error messages related to this partition?
> No , Gparted can not mount it either
> > 3. What happens after system reboot? Does it mount or not?
> No , only  / is mounted
> >

> > Mateusz Marzantowicz

So when the system reboots you see a /dev/sda2 device, correct?

When you type "mount /dev/sda2 /somewhere" (where "somewhere" is some
existing, handy mount point) you get an error message saying that the
file system isn't recognized or can't be determined?

If you type "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /somewhere" you get an error
message, e.g., "not an ext4 filesystem?"

What I would try next is running "e2fsck -n /dev/sda2" and see what that
says.  The "-n" to insure nothing is written to the disk (just in case).
Try it and post the results to the list here.  The partition superblock
may be corrupted and I have no idea what e2fsck will try to do if that's
the case.  It may just give up without looking at the backup superblock.

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski