Built-in memory card reader not working

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 01:26:36 UTC 2012

I have had this issue for a long time, just never
bothered with it as I had no flash media to use
it for.
I just bought a 16GB secure digital Extreme Compact Flash
(San Disk). System does not sense it's presence whenit is inserted
into the memory card reader's slot.

This is the memory card reader, as reported by lspci:

00:09.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M1/MC1 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus
Controller (rev 20)
00:09.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M1/MC1 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus
Controller (rev 20)
00:09.2 System peripheral: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711Mx 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus
Accelerator

I cannot tell if the device (card reader) is dead or if it is just
unsupported.