changing a read-only file to rw

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jul 6 16:01:36 UTC 2012

Am 06.07.2012 17:55, schrieb Jim:
> On 07/06/2012 11:39 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> mount -o remount,rw /
>>>
>>> sda3 is /
>>>
>>> /var/log/messages;
>>> Jul  6 11:29:28 presleys kernel: [52473.469114] EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
>> well so what let you come to the conclusion it is MOUNTED read-only?
>> what says "mount | grep sda3"?
>>
>> i doubt you are only kacing write-permissions
>> this has nothing to do with read-only
>>
>> is this still the same computer of your freind
>> where you trying to rescue data since days?
>>
>> if yes - PLEASE be a friend to him and consult someone which
>> is knowing what he is doing - appearently you are only shooting
>> in the dark which sooner or later ends in data finally lost!
>>

> # mount | grep sda3
>
> /dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

as said , the disk is NOT read-only
why are you ignoring the hint to lacking permissions?
why do you not provide any useful outputs?

WHAt is the error-message you get?
what is the uncutted input and output in your terminal?
as which user you are calling whatever commands?
what are the permissions of what ever you trying to access?

WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU NOT PROVIDE ANY USEFUL INFORMATION
WITHOUT SOMEBODY GIVE YOU EXACT COMMANDS?

really, we are not here to guess what you are doing

if you think you do not need provide informations
without requesting them you are wrong on a mailing
list - this way you can act with a book but not with
people wasting their time trying to help you!