And don't let the door hit you on the way out

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 16:22:01 UTC 2012

On 07/04/2012 08:43 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
>>> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
>>> should work just fine.
>>
>> I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
>> Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
>>
> There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
> Fedora with regard to virtualization.
>
> With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
> transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
> rest of your life on forums like this one.  You don't really want me
> here forever, do you?
>
> The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if
> you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the
> people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use
> Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them.  Red Hat (along
> with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at
> such users.  It doesn't want them.

Surely this is more to do with Fedora being a free software
distribution.  Sure, we could relax that rule and allow unfree
software in the distribution, but if we did Fedora would then be a
different thing.  If what you want is really a mixed free/unfree
distribution, we can't help you.

> Thus, if I need to find the *exact* Ubuntu driver for the very
> popular webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can
> also find people who use it and talk about how to use it.  If there
> are such users in the Fedora community, I have so far not
> encountered them.  Red Hat threw its amateur users overboard to
> maximize shareholder value.  A few loyal diehards hung on.  This
> loyal diehard can no longer afford to.

Clearly you've been letting the anger and frustration build for a long
time, and it all comes out at once.  But is there anything from a
practical point of view that you think we can do, short of
distributing unfree software?

Andrew.