SOLVED: sda2 is corrupted

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Jul 6 20:59:38 UTC 2012

On 07/06/2012 01:41 PM, Steven Stern wrote:

> Did anything show up in the /lost+found directory?

Good advice.

I had a box boot for the specified number of times to require an fsck.
I ended up with a box that wouldn't boot.

After moving the drive to another machine I tried a little forensics:
the entire contents of the /boot partition had disappeared.

On a hunch I "tree"ed lost+found and found many leafless branches but
one that had the entire contents of /boot.  Copied everything back to
/boot and did another fsck.  Clean!

Returned the drive to its original box and booted.  Came up without a hitch.

To this day I haven't the slightest idea what happened to corrupt the
drive and can say that its the first time I've ever found anything in a
lost+found directory.  Very glad it was there.

First time in 15 years I've seen anything like that.