SOLVED: sda2 is corrupted

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 7 01:41:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 14:55 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Then I did a e2fsck /dev/sda2 it took e2fsck about 45 mins to fix the
> sda2 partition , One of Two users /home directories was totally gone ,
> the one tjhat was being used at CRASH time.  But the one that was not
> being used and had the important data to be saved was still intact.
>
> I have never seen a Linux computer crashed this bad.

You'd want to test the drive for errors, now, in case it was the cause
of the crash.  There's no point continuing to use a faulty drive, even
if it appears to work at the time.  There are tools that can be
downloaded from the hard drive manufacturer's websites to test their own
drives (either windows tools, or they make a bootable CD that bypasses
any OS on your computer).  And there are SMART tools that can be used in
Linux.

Unexpected severe crashes and drive corruptions can just be a random
glitch (such as a momentary power fail), or indicative of some hardware
fault in the computer (the power supply, the drive itself, RAM,
motherboard, et cetera).  Or, simply, that the cards plugged into the
motherboard are walking loose of their sockets, and pulling them out
then re-inserting them is required.  And the old favourite, of the CPU
cooler being gunked up with fluff so the CPU overheats.

I'd try to do some investigation into *why* it failed, if I were you.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.