Fedora 18 and UEFI

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 13:05:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On x86 systems, the ability to disable secure boot is mandated by
> Microsoft and needed to debug Microsoft drivers and since all the
> hardware manufacturers want to comply to this specification, you can be
> rest assured they will provide this functionality and once you disable
> secure boot (instructions for this will likely be in a Fedora wiki
> page

Yes, but notice the evil in Microsoft´s wording. Who wants to disable
"SECURE" booting? Secure ´feels good´. Lack of ´secure´ does not. It´s
like asking "do you want to disable secure landing"? on an airplane.
;)

Of course 99.9% of the people will think "why do I have to disable
SECURE boot to run this? I don´t want my system to have INSECURE
booting... please give me secure! in fact, I´d like extra secure if
possible" ;). -even if they don´t know what secure booting means to
begin with- ;)

Thus, for starters, RedHat´s decision to pay for a signing key is the
practical approach, so users will be able to boot Fedora without
tweaking their BIOS/CMOS settings.

But what I think could be challenged with antitrust regulators is
Microsoft CHARGING for it. To keep it a level playing field MSFT
should issue free keys to any OS development firm that asks for one,
whether commercial or open source.

FC