Fedora 18 and UEFI onlist

Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 05:52:42 UTC 2012

On 07/08/2012 01:13 AM, Roger wrote:
> My opinion.
> <snip>
> so NO microsoft is not in any position to control the x86 market
> </snip>
>
> I have been watching this thread with interest.
> Conversation to date raises, for me, a number of points.
>
> 1. None of this would be necessary if Microsoft produced quality,
> secure operating systems in the first instance.
> Microsoft caused Linux to happen. Linux would not be bane of their
> existence, it may never even have existed in it's current form/s were
> it not for denial, refusal and incessant greed on their part. They
> have only themselves to blame and squirming as with Secureboot seems
> just that.
>
> 2. Being very concerned about competition. Microsoft has to eliminate
> it or at least make attempts to do so.
>
> 3. Microsoft seem to be grasping at straws, seemingly fully backed by
> the Administration.
>
> 4. Users neither know or care, they buy a computer, it has windows,
> end of discussion.
>
> 5. <quote> Linux is scary, no one uses it anyway. I can't use any of
> my programs on it"</endquote>
>
> 6. Microsoft doesn't need to care about the x86 market, as long as
> they can clandestinely, over time,  eliminate use of other operating
> systems (except for Apple). To me the Verisign discussion so far,
> seems only a first step toward the goal of killing off the flies
> buzzing round the poo pile that Microsoft plays in.
>
> They can't control Open Source so want boot locked down or out,
> depending on one's point of view.  In saying this I admit no knowledge
> of Secureboot or Verisign.
> A question I would be asking is what could be their next step.
I would question not what their next step is...but what their ultimate
goal is! I can't possibly believe that they spend the money they don on
just taking out "little 'ol Linux"....threre's GOT to be some grand
design-master plan that they're not going to divulge until the very end!
I think this while it might look scary at first for the Open Source
community,...might end up actually being a good thing. The same way when
Windows came out and had all it's licenses and product keys, the people
who didn't want to go that route opted for Linux and the open source,
this could lead to a whole new era, or users who can actually bypass and
hack the secure boot mess!....Imagine it...a group of like 13 year olds
talking about how they got past the UEFI on a current model ultra book
with just a few lines of code!...LoL!...I know...far fetched...but
hey....you never know!...

EGO II