Fedora 18 and UEFI

Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:11:50 UTC 2012

On 07/08/2012 03:43 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 08.07.2012, suvayu ali wrote:
>
>> PS: If you are wondering, what I took from the thread, it's going to be
>>      a pain if at some point the optional requirement to secure boot is
>>      removed.
> This reminds me on the past, before the mainboard/BIOS manufacturers
> picked it up as an sales-idea: people (overclockers)had to search for, download and
> flash/burn a modified BIOS for their mainboards to get access to CPU-
> memory- and busclock settings. Now you can buy mainboards which even
> have "dynamic overclocking", and nearly all BIOSes contain a bunch of
> tunables to shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> I have no difficulties to imagine a similar scenario, where people buy
> their mainboard because they know that a modified BIOS exists for,
> which reinforces the "disable secure boot"...

I'm more concerned with IF those types of boards will be available
immediately of if it will take some time before the "modding" community
brings forth the desired boards. As I've witnessed from in the past,
sometimes unless there's enough of a modding community involved with
something then mainstream manufacturers might not alter their design.
(As in the overclocking examples!) I'm not really worried about not
being able to use Linux, as I'm in the process of getting ahold of both
a laptop and a desktop with no secure boot feature, the laptop has a
5OOGB HD and will be running Fedora 17, while the desktop will have a
1TB HD and will be running Linux Mint, granted I might not be abl to
obtain updates and upgrades somewhere along the line, but maybe by the
time I'm ready to upgrade again, there'll be some kind of modification
or workaround that will have propagated to the world wide web, which
will permit me to do what I please when I please and how I please
without having to bow down to the Microsoft Altar!....

EGO II