Matching message headers in mutt hooks

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:37:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:20:47AM +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 08:48:09AM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>
> > There are a lot of filters; maildrop, mailfilter.. Though procmail
> > seems not to be maintained anymore, I'm using it, because I have
> > experience in writing procmail recipes and have been using it all my
> > life. You can feed your mail into perl/python/whatever-scripts
> > directly from procmail.
> >
> > My incoming mailchain is fetchmail -> procmail -> perl/CRM114 -> mutt.
> > F*ck me, writing all this makes me realize that I'm getting old :)
>
> For those who have 'simple' (mostly text) mail needs I can
> still recommend mutt.

How does one handle attachments? I saw the pipe command and tried to
pipe a pdf file to Evince, but it didn't seem to work as I had expected.
Do I need an old school viewer like gv for this to work? It's also
possible I didn't specify the command properly. I get a lot of
pdf/ps/eps/png attachments, so this is crucial need for me.

I'm also noticing significant delays in opening large mailboxes (>30,000
messages) over IMAP (despite header and body caching). I understand the
better way to deal with this would be to have a local IMAP server which
syncs with my email provide? Does any one have any recommendations for a
very light weight IMAP server (I'm on a laptop)?

PS: I have all html email handled with w3m -dump. It's pretty cool to
    ignore all html so trivially. :)

--
Suvayu