Matching message headers in mutt hooks

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Mon Jul 9 12:02:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:37:37AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> How does one handle attachments? I saw the pipe command and tried to
> pipe a pdf file to Evince, but it didn't seem to work as I had expected.
> Do I need an old school viewer like gv for this to work? It's also
> possible I didn't specify the command properly. I get a lot of
> pdf/ps/eps/png attachments, so this is crucial need for me.

You could do something like the following:
Create in ~/ the files .mime.types and .mailcap

~/.mime.types
application/pdf pdf

~/.mailcap
application/pdf; evince %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
application/pdf; pdftotext %s %s.txt \; cat %s.txt \; rm -f %s.txt ;
copiousoutput

then edit ~/.muttrc and add:
auto_view text/html message/* application/pdf

If I didn't make any mistake you should get a text rendering
of the pdf directly in mutt (for a quick look).
I you want to see the pdf in evince hit 'v', select the pdf
and hit 'enter'.

AV