sendmail

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jul 9 17:58:28 UTC 2012

On 07/09/2012 02:12 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> But, when sendmail talks to sendmail (your system to orange) it is using port 25.  I
> don't think there is a way to tell sendmail to use port 587 to connect to a remote
> server (MTA--->MTA).  Port 587 is supposed to be used for MUA--->MTA communications.

Wrong.  I had to set sendmail up to use my hosting company as a
smarthost because I needed to use it to update linuxcounter.org and my
ISP blocks outbound port 25.  I added this line (among other changes) to
sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf:

define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl

It works just fine.