Fedora 17 - Only one kernel

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 07:47:33 UTC 2012

On 10 July 2012 08:33, Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> How can I reduce the number of installed kernels to only one on my
> Fedora 17 systems? I'm asking about automated approach without the need
> of manual package removal.
>
> I haven't compiled new kernels myself for a very long time so I don't
> think I'll need more then one kernel installed.
>
> Now, I'm using  package-cleanup --oldkernel but it's still cleaning up
> the mess that I want to avoid.

You do want two kernels installed at least in case an update fails to
boot. The installonly_limit parameter in /etc/yum.conf manages it, if
you changed it to 1 then all older kernels would be removed by a yum
update. Actually, I think possibly the running kernel will not be
removed, so maybe it's not possible to get down to 1 that way. Maybe
create a service for startup which does the cleanup? That way the old
kernel wouldn't be removed until you successfully booted into the new
one (but that still wouldn't catch things like broken video drivers or
needing to add kernel parameters to work around a problem).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk