Can't boot Linux after motherboard change

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:09:49 UTC 2012

Folks,
  here's my situation and am wondering if anybody could provide some
suggestions.

Three weeks ago I had the motherboard of my Dell Precision M65 laptop
replaced due to issues with the video card.  After the Dell tech replaced
the board I had no problems booting up on my F16 installation.  After a few
days this motherboard started exhibiting power supply issues.  The system
would switch from AC power to battery, dimming the monitor, and then switch
back to AC with the monitor brightening.  This continued to happen on and
off for several weeks, it also would happen under Windows 7, so wasn't an
OS issue.  I tried two different external power supplies, but the problem
still occurred.  If I took the battery out and ran on just the AC then the
system would power itself off within a minute or two.  I contacted Dell and
described the problem and today the Dell tech replaced the motherboard
again.  The problem is that now Linux no longer boots.  It starts to boot,
it loads the kernel and the ramdisk, but then the fan speeds up and the
system powers off.   Earlier today I was able to boot off a F16 DVD and was
able to backup my user account data to an external drive.  Now when I try
it it no longer works, it starts the process, I get prompted for language
and keyboard, but then again the fans speed up and the system powers off.
 The system is configured to boot both Windows 7 and Linux.  If I boot
Windows it comes up just fine and runs, but Linux wont.  When I boot
Windows the fans do not speed up as they do with Linux.

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on?

The system is updated to the lasted changes.  I tried to boot an earlier
kernel, but I get the same behavior.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paolo