Can't boot Linux after motherboard change

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:05:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM, <ny6p01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:31:27AM -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Louis Lagendijk
> > <louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl>wrote:

> > > Hmm, does the fan run at all? This almost sounds like a heat problem.
> > > Maybe the fan did not get connected or damaged?
> > >

> > The fan runs.  It starts off low then speeds up considerably then the
> power
> > goes off.  I'm suspecting either the video processor or the cpu is
> > overheating and this is causing the system to power off.
> >
> > Paolo
>
> Check the inlets and outlets. The ones on laptops tend to get congested
> with
> dust.
>
> Terry

All the filters have been cleaned.  When the tech replaced the motherboard
he had to remove the heat sync.  When he did this a piece of copper or
copper alloy fell off it's about an inch square.   The tech said that it
was not necessary and did not replace it (fortunately I still have it).  My
suspicion is that this component is needed.

I was able to get Windows 7 to power off as well.  Linux does something
during boot that causes some device to overheat resulting in the system
powering off while Windows will boot up just fine.  It's only when I try to
refresh the Windows Experience Index (Control Panel -> Performance
Information and Tools) that Windows exhibits the same power off problem
that I see in Linux.

I left a voice mail with the Dell tech.

Paolo