Motherboards

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 06:41:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Gary Hodder <vk2kcf at vk2kcf.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering what motherboards users are using on there Linux box?
> I had a Asus m4a79t delux but in corroded under 2 years and failed.
> Asus blames the customer oxidation and will not give warranty even
> though it has 3 years warranty.
> Strange how a old p5 Intel machine beside it is perfectly fine.
> Asus warranty not worth the paper its written on.
> Have a Asus crosshair V formula that spent more times being repaired
> than been used.
> It still comes up with eprom errors on boot and runs like a dog and Asus
> will not give money back as they say they do not support Linux.
> So we have proved that this brand is crap, what else is there?
>
> Am looking at the Gigabyte ga-990fxa-d3, does this board play well with
> Linux as looking at putting it in what was the m4a79t box.
>
> Thanks
> Gary.

Take a good look at the LAN driver for that board. If it is the new 1
GiB onboard Realtek then you might have trouble with it in Linux. I
just went through hell with an Asus board with the new Realtek onboard
LAN and I was going to swap it out for a Gigabyte board (at my own
expense) before realising that the Gigabytes also have the same
component.

Even Windows won't get online with that LAN before installing the
driver disk. So that is a good way to check if you know someone with
the board running Windows.

Whatever you do, make sure that the board you buy has a PCI slot. The
stupid Asus board in question didn't even have a PCI slot for me to
install a replacement LAN card into! I'll never make that mistake
again!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il