gdm lacks language & kbd layout selection

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jul 15 13:41:30 UTC 2012

On 07/15/2012 08:38 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/15/2012 06:24 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>>> I would use two case: multiple users on one machine want different
>>> languages; and one user want occasionally use session with different
>>> language from it's main. In both cases in way for people without any
>>> computer skills ;). Fortunately contrary to You all languages are
>>> those using ISO8859-1/-2 charsets (maybe rarely cyrillic alphabet).
>> You didn't mention what desktop you are using.....
> As I wrote in first mail, I'm now using Xfce (in F14- I was Gnome user).

Ah, yes.  So, you did....

I don't know much about Xfce and how it switches language display.  I just tried a
quick test by modifying the LANG environment variable.  No effect.  Doing that with
KDE or GNOME is enough to have them change the GUI language.

>> For GNOME, which I don't use, it is very easy for a person to select which LANG they
>> want to operate in.  All they do is go to "System Settings--->Region&Language" and
>> set their language for their next and subsequent logins.
>>
>> For the person using a different language than their main one...they just have to
>> remember to do it on logout.
> Eh, int indeed! That is return back to windos era :(
> And after some time anaconda/firstboot will say to us: "Now You must
> select Your language. It cannot be newer changed afterwards"

Well, at least you can switch back and forth with relative ease in KDE and GNOME.  I
really don't expect that to change.

> And it is useles when to one machine are simultaneously connected
> multiple users with different language demands.

Not sure I know what you mean by "simultaneously connected".

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage