Make external hard drive accessible to all users

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:03:11 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
<mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> On 14.07.2012 01:58, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> No, there is not such need.
>>
>> Actually, there is. Pasha is right in that it'll work if the drive is
>> plugged in at boot time as the mounting of items in /etc/fstab is done
>> at boot. In reality, plug/unplug of devices is geared towards a
>> workstation (which is why Fedora behaves the way it does). Pasha's
>> thing is more what you'd expect in a server-oriented environment which
>> is why I suggested what I did.
>>

> Sorry but I checked that and I can't agree with you.
>
> I added following line to /etc/fstab:
>
> UUID="25da1476-a0a4-4b87-8afb-8f0ddb128b18"    /mnt    ext4
> defaults    0 0
>
> The uuid is of my flash card (removable storage). Then when I plugged in
> the card, it hasn't been mounted automatically. I had to issued: mount
> /mnt and umount /mnt manually.
>
> This is exactly what I was talking about. It works in Fedora 17. So you
> can mount shared storage not only at boot time. /etc/fstab is not only
> proceeded at boot time!

This is less convenient than in older Fedora versions. I have several
removable drives and also some thumb drives, which I also prefer to
mount system-wide accessible. Now I have to add them all to fstab and
also mount manually. I wonder what was a purpose of the change. Was it
for multi-seat support?