F16 - Adding a second video card

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Jul 18 08:01:54 UTC 2012

On 07/17/2012 09:29 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 11:34 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Many older MoBos will not support two video cards.  When you plug a
>> video card in the expansion slot it disables the integrated one.
>
> Though, some do not.  i.e. You *may* be able to use the internal
> graphics chipset and an external one, *or* you may have to install two
> graphics cards.  I've got some boards that work in both ways.

I was quite surprised to be able to use both the Intel integrated
and Nvidia discrete on a "Nvidia Optimus" Lenovo Thinkpad.
(also considering what Linus has recently expressed about Nvidia
commitment to Linux)

It is possible to actually run two X servers, with the Intel chipset
driving the LCD panel and the Nvidia board driving the VGA.
It was quite a bit of work to configure, but it is working fine
now (I can also poweron and poweroff the Nvidia chip very simply
without any reboot or session restart).

(all this experimentation because it seems it is not possible to
have VGA output on the Intel chipset)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it